Saturday, April 03, 2010

Trot Line fishing and Jugging for big Catfish--Part II.

Well, my Cajun fishing buddies and I went out to Mallard Bay where our hunting and fishing camp is located in southern Louisiana. I made a 50 foot trot line with 25 hooks, as well as bumped up my arsenal of jug lines to 25! So, we had 50 hooks in the bayous--we were ready for some heavy hauls! Fellow Cajun comrades were Bryan Stelly, Louis and Roger Turner, and some other friends. While we set out the lines, we were also barbecuing smoked deer sausage on the pit. We were miles and miles away from any oil spill; the weather was hot but beautiful; the alligators were everywhere, as well as beautiful waterfowl.

I set my trot line along the bank of the bayou. A trot line is a long rope tied between two poles, and it is submerged into the water. Along the main line, I tie leader lines hanging down towards the muddy bayou floor below. Attached to that leader line is a large hook. If baited with live bait (crawfish, shrimp, perch), then I will catch a large Yellow Catfish ("Flat Head," "Opelousas Catfish"); if I bait it with stink bait (chicken gizzard, beef heart), then I'll catch big Blue Catfish, Channel Catfish, Garfish, or an Alligator (which I must release--it is illegal to harvest alligators out of season).

I created some special catfish juglines--my very own "THE VAUTROT SPECIAL." This jug equipment is re-inforced with #18 braided, treated Nylon twine, barrel swivels, large hooks, and the jug is spray painted with fluorescent paint and reflective tape--that way we can see them bobbing up & down at night in the canals!


There is no place in America to LIVE and PLAY like Cajun Country--Louisiana!

No comments:

Post a Comment