Thursday, April 25, 2013

Teaching & sharing Cajun culture: Dr. Vautrot shows some Louisiana boys how to crawfish.

These photos were taken in March 2013. My neighbors' sons all came over this Spring to learn one of many unique, fun Cajun practices: Crawfishing!!!

After finishing their homework, they walked over in their chest waders or hip boots. I bought the crawfish bait; and we set out the crawfish traps--75 of them in 3 of my flooded crawfish ponds.

In these photos, we are in the ponds; we are standing on the levee holding crawfish; and my 1 1/2 year old Golden Retriever, Dixie Belle is seen in the pictures. My girlfriend was kind enough to take the pics that lovely day!


Dr. Vautrot (seen above) and 4 of the neighborhood boys in one of
my crawfish ponds. There is the charactheristic orange top of the
crawfish trap in the pond behind us; you can see it above the head
of the boy in the middle. One of the boys to the far right of the photo
is holding the floating 5 gallon bucket that we put our crawfish in--we
dump them in it from the traps.



Dr. Vautrot, the neighbors, and my hunting dogs.



All of us holding some crawfish. My dog, Dixie, is monitoring.
The crawfish pond is behind us; and, there is another one to our left.

Here I am holding one of the self-made bait buckets with a strap
I made over the rope: I threaded pipe insulating foam material over
the rope, and then duct-taped it in place. This makes it very
comfortable around your neck holding a heavy bucket filled with bait.




Photo above: we are holding crawfish, and my dog Dixie is trying to grab mine. She actually LOVES to eat boiled crawfish, too. I have seen her eat about 3 pounds of them (unseasoned).

One of the boys holding an orange mesh basket with about 25 pounds of crawfish!




Here is his older brother holding about 25 pounds of crawfish in a
solid black plastic tub.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:09 PM

    I am so proud of you. Your life have been full of ups and downs, but you managed to find your way back. I am very happy for you because I know how much it means to you to continue the steps of your Father. Back to been yourself always teaching and working hard. Just the way your Dad taught you.
    Please take care
    Padme

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Victor! I wondered what ever happened to you. Cool blog!
    Take care,
    Karen (Page)

    ReplyDelete